Wednesday 13 July 2011

From the Front Line of the BIG MEETING 2011

Arriving at 8.00 am at the Market Place, thinking to relax with a bacon roll, it was not long before the first of the 55 bands and banners started marching earlier than usual thus catching me on the hop. So it was, and it’s not often I multi-task, I could be seen photographing with one hand and eating my bacon sandwich with the other for some considerable time. Something had to give and the sandwich won.

I soon made my way past Magdelan Steps, with the usual enthusiastic crowd already in position. Pausing only to chat to fellow member Neil and his Dad for half an hour, I headed towards County Hotel by which time the processions from all points of the compass were starting to back up. Already, huge crowds, in great good spirits, had gathered in front of the balcony. Several DPS Gala enthusiasts were already at work including Hon Life Vice President Robin Wallace, a veteran of nearly 40 Galas. Over the years, we have mastered the best vantage points and I spent a happy few hours in the thick of it before moving onwards to the Racecourse which was a glorious sight, and the speeches from the platform, notably from a photographic point of view, from Dennis Skinner.

Meantime, designated fellow members were at the cathedral service photographing the dedication of 7 new banners and the commemoration of 2 others – a joyous task. Lucky for them too, the photographers’ favourite, Tony Benn, was in attendance (see Blog item, “Tale of Two Tony’s”).

Back on the Racecourse, half way through the speeches, the heavens opened and the deluge continued intermittently throughout the day. In seconds every scrap of protection by way of tents etc was very quickly jam-packed. My first thought was to pull rank as a senior citizen and push in for cover but, realising I was already soaked to the skin, decided to look good and continue taking pictures. I’m glad I did as they will add to my “What it is to be English” collection.

Long after the bacon sarnie, I finally made my way back, tired but happy. The streets of Durham were alive for 9 hours to the magnificent sights and sounds of the Big Meeting - the bands, the banners and, above all, the people, not least the good company of a host of fellow members. It was a great day.

Anon (after D. Hardingham)

Trevor and old friend. Picture Tony Griffiths Blogmaster John has a different point of view. Picture Tony Griffiths Bob hasn't lost it. Picture Tony Griffiths Hon Life Vice Pres. Robin's 37th Gala as a photographer. Picture Tony Griffiths John, Marie and Tom well kitted out. Picture Tony Griffiths TG with the Big Boys. Picture Alan SharpNot yet a member. Picture Tony Griffiths

No comments:

Post a Comment