Sunday 4 December 2011

The Story Behind the Picture: Temptation

REASONS BEHIND THE IMAGE

Colin Armitstead has been our General Secretary for over 40 years and leads our Assignments outings to many and varied locations, with follow up sessions where prints are shown and discussed. One of our most popular and successful activities, the Assignments initiative won Colin the Vice President award in 2011. Colin is also an Honorary Life Vice President of the Society.

“One of our assignments days was spent in South Shields last July. I was aware that there was a “Fun Fair” on the jetty and I hoped this could yield some different pictures.

From an early age I had been mesmerized by the penny in the slot machines as my few available pennies had a habit of rapidly disappearing. I was not ready for the rapid changes in these since my childhood. Garish lighting, colourful images and psychology were there to tempt you to feed the beast. After looking round the myriad of possibles I settled on the one you see. Of course I titled the image “Temptation”

Taken on my Lumix FZ7 the first thing was to set on Aperture metering and open up to allow a reasonably fast shutter speed to match the interior lighting (this is normally the only manual adjustment I make prior to shooting). As my viewfinder does not record the true image frame I leave a small amount round the image to make sure I get what I want in the end. My aim is to always fill the frame with my intended picture.

So here we see the clown catching the eye, to make us choose this machine. He eyes the large Winners Slot with its undefined prize. Almost hidden at the bottom of the frame are the three slots designed to milk you of all your cash. To cap it all, the small clown on the right is laughing his hat off as you are indeed TEMPTED. Not a picture for judges, one to look at and try to see why I took the shot.

As a true Yorkshire born man my total contribution to the whole thing was only this shot (money buys printing paper)

Temptation. Colin Armitstead

Colin Armitstead

The next Assignment is to Tanfield Railway, Saturday 10th December, meeting at 10.00 a.m. in the car park

No comments:

Post a Comment