Saturday 3 December 2011

NEWS: RPS Distinction Awarded to John Cogan

Congratulations to Durham Photographic Society member John Cogan who has been awarded his Licentiateship of the Royal Photographic Society after successfully submitted a panel of prints to the RPS at its recent Assessment Day. Here is John’s story and some pictures from his Licentiateship panel:

“I first went to the Bridge of Allan RPS Advisory Day and learned a great deal. It seems I took raw shots that were "Sculptural" and "Gritty" so the advice was to focus on that aspect of my work.  One of the distinguished assessors was a Scottish lass of great perspicacity who rather tore to pieces a couple of my submissions.  She seemed to be a VERY strict lady and you can imagine how that made me feel... (or perhaps you can't!).  My heart sank as she swept into RPS HQ, Fenton House in Bath, to be one of the assessors for my LRPS. 

The panel of 10 images I submitted were all portraits and of the 10, 8 were in BW. 

When mine were brought in for assessment I realised it was the only panel with black mounts.  Will this be held against me I wondered? Have black mounts gone out fashion? The assessors took ages to deliberate and with the scratching of the collective chin I was certain my images would be discounted.  How surprised I was to be recommended for the Licentiateship.  What was even more of a surprise was the way the strict lady bounced up to me afterwards and said how pleased she was that I had succeeded!  That I didn't expect.

They still thought my images were “"Gritty" and "Sculptural" and "Raw" and that this rather made all the mistakes forgivable”... I’m still wondering ... what mistakes?”

John Cogan LRPS

Hedgehog feeding

dad and son in the rain

waitress

Interested members may know the next RPS Northern Region Distinctions Workshop at Backworth Hall is 22nd April 2012. For a quick link to an article about the 2011 Workshop, scroll down to the bottom of this page

No comments:

Post a Comment