Wednesday 2 May 2012

Help Desk: Print Safety

The back of a print submitted in a competition may sometimes inadvertently come into contact with the front of one belonging to another member. If the wrong sort of tape is used to stick the prints to the mounts it can lift and cause serious damage if the adhesive part of the tape then comes into contact with the surface of the next print.

I am appealing to members to use good quality tape, not the low tack masking tape that DIY shops sell. I recommend the brown paper tape which otherwise looks like masking tape, but has a stronger adhesive. This is often called 'Framer’s Tape' comes in 25mm and 50 mm widths and is sold by good art shops and framers. Please make sure it is rubbed down well so that there are no loose ends or lifting sides.

I have not had an incident with grey 'gaffa' tape but I do feel that that it could ruin any print surface it came into contact with should it come undone. I have similar reservations with brown parcel tape, which I suspect is not acid free, but again rub down well.

Labels on the back of a print can give problems so I advise that they are not used. If they are an absolute must they should be well stuck down to the mount card itself. They can lift if applied to the back of tape even if this is of good quality.

I believe we should think as hard about the back of our print as we do about the front. The whole print is an example of your skill as a photographic craftsperson. Please make both sides the best you can!

Alan Stott, Print Secretary

Framer's tape

No comments:

Post a Comment