Sunday 23 October 2011

The Story Behind the Picture: Katrya

This image was accepted in the Northern Counties International Salon of Photography 2011 and many other internationals.

KATRYA

Katrya was taken on 31st October 2009 at the Goth Weekend at Whitby and has become one of my most successful pictures.

Stephen Bell and I were hanging around one of our usual haunts at Whitby, taking pictures of the Goths. We'd been taking pictures of a small group of Goths when I noticed that their friend - who wasn't in Goth dress - was just standing patiently to one side while Stephen and I took pictures of her friends. There was something about this girl that attracted my attention. Apart from the fact she was very shy, she had the most amazing face and eyes and in my opinion was much more photogenic than her Gothic friends. She was really taken aback when I asked to take her picture and I remember her friends laughing at her embarrassment. Nevertheless, she agreed and I sensed that I would have to be really quick, as she wouldn't hang around for long. I just asked her to pose where she was standing. All I had time for was to have a quick look in the viewfinder to make sure the background was OK and press the shutter. I took 8 pictures before she ran off to catch up with her friends.

When I came to show the picture all I originally did for post processing was the usual adjustments I always do in Adobe Camera RAW. It was about 6 months later when I was revisiting some images that I decided to "enhance" that original post processing by carrying out some de-saturation techniques using Photoshop Layers. I tend to think that these days far too many images are "over-cooked" and are far too colour saturated, so perhaps it is this de-saturation technique - and of course Katrya's fantastic face and eyes - that make this image stand out from the crowd in Salons.

Nikon D700, Nikon 24-124 zoom lens, 1/250 @ f8. ISO 400.”

Neil Maughan

KATRYA, Original Version

No comments:

Post a Comment