Friday 11 September 2009

REPORT OF THE PRESIDENT SEPTEMBER 09

Well, here we are back again after the break. Thanks to everyone who put in time over the holiday to keep photography in the public eye and to get us ready for the months ahead.
Looking back over the past series of meetings I have to say that home grown talent has come up trumps again. Thanks to Roger and Don and to all the people who contributed to the two members’ nights. I found the talk by Julian Harrop of Beamish Museum most interesting. It provided a positive reminder of the power of photography as a recoding medium, as even what had been the most innocuous snaps took on a historical meaning when ‘rediscovered’ after a period of time.
I feel it could be useful to pass on an experience when working with Pictures to Exe. I recently noticed a quite significant colour shift from the original JPEGs when I brought them into the programme. I tried other programmes including Fast Stone and found the same thing. After a lot of research, finally the RPS AV group advised me that the Colour Space of projection programmes such as PTE is sRGB. I had been using Pro-photo RGB while I know many of our members use Adobe RGB. I now wonder if some members are giving us non sRGB files to project and then blaming the projector for disappointing colours. This may be worth considering for inclusion in the regulations next year.
Alan Stott

No comments:

Post a Comment